Countdown to Mommyhood

 Pregnancy Ticker

Monday, April 12, 2010

Apples to Apples

Have you ever played that game? According to Amazon.com, "the name of the game is a play on the phrase "apples to oranges," and the game is about making comparisons between different things." It really is an entertaining game that I totally recommend for game night!

I also found the title and meaning of the game to be ironically appropriate after reading a friend's blog post entitled "Apples" that basically refers to teachers complaining about everything under the sun and particularly pointing out how frustrated she gets when she sees her teacher friends facebook status updates that say things about them having to return to work after enjoying spring break and counting down the days to summer break.

Before I continue on with my response, I would first like to point out that I too, am pregnant and hormonal just like the other woman and by no means am trying to start a "war on words" if you will. I just feel the need to defend my position as a teacher since I was apparently one of the ones doing the "annoying" last night, as I posted a status update that referred to my countdown until summer break.

I know what you are all thinking right now. "Ooo this is getting so juicy, I wonder whose blog post she might be referring to." And you are probably planning your next steps to crack the case after you finish reading my post, but that truly is not what this is about. If I haven't already said this, I think this person is very nice and would like to maintain a friendly relationship with her as we share a lot in common, even if we vastly disagree on this subject.

So,

here

goes

nothing....

Believe it or not, I don't totally disagree with the entire post. She points out that many (not all) teachers complain about numerous things....lack of money, unruly parents, work days, etc. I too, find this to be true, as I know a few teachers that do seem to complain about everything, but in every group of people there usually always is at least one bad apple. However, my main problem with her post is that I don't think she is comparing apples to apples, instead I think she is comparing apples to oranges. She did have me at the beginning, but when she went on to say that the thing that most annoyed her about teachers was their facebook status countdowns, she totally, utterly lost me.

Yes! Some teachers do complain about everything!

Yes! Most 24 year olds in other professions start out making the same amount that teachers make.

Yes! ALL professionals have to deal with difficult people and situations that are challenging.

Yes! Teachers are very lucky to get winter breaks, spring breaks, and summer breaks. It's definitely one of the perks!

No! It's not fair to place every teacher that posts their summer countdown zest into the "complaining teacher" category.

That, in my opinion, is a total apples to oranges comparison. I and most of the teachers I know, currently have facebook statuses showing our enthusiasm for summer break, because we are indeed ENTHUSED about getting some time off of work! Who in the world wouldn't be? Do people in other professions not ever express how tough it will be for them to have to return to work the next morning after a week long Caribbean vacation? Do people in other professions not get excited when they get to take a personal day(s)? Exactly my point! We are all human and it is in our nature to get excited about having some time off to spend with our families, or take a vacation, or even just read the book we've been wanting to get to for the past 6 months.

So with all do respect, please do not think of the notorious summer break countdowns as a way of complaining. It is simply just a way for us to show our eagerness for being able to sleep-in in 30 more days and have a little break from work responsibilities.

I LOVE my job and LOVE that I get to spend my days working with young minds that will grow up and do AMAZING things, but you will always be able to count on my summer break "countdowns."

In my mind, you just can't compare the random bad apple to all the good apples out there with a little enthusiasm for soaking up the summer sun, because after all, wouldn't you be excited too?

No comments: